Saturday, September 12, 2009

Summer Reading- Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult (book review)


This summer I read an amazing book called Nineteen Minutes, by Jodi Picoult. I absolutely love this book and this author. Every book I read by Jodi Picoult gets my attention right away. Nineteen Minutes is about a school shooting that takes place in Sterling, New Hamshire. It is told from many points of view including the shooter, the judge on the case, the shooter's old friend (the judge's daughter), a police officer at the crime scene, etc. The book has so many perspectives, that the reader has a very hard time ever loosing interest in the story which is what makes the story that much more exciting. Even the first few sentences make you want more and more. I really connected with some of the emotions that the characters were feeling in the book. For example, confusion and the feeling of being at a loss for words. A particular moment that I remember reacting to was when the police officers go through the school and see the trails of blood that line the halls. It gave me chills. This book also really makes you think about small things you do to people -good or bad- that really go a long way, even though you may not know it. The story makes you want to think before you act. You never know how much you are really affecting the people around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment